Tags: Add new tag
Happy New Year to the USNI Blogosphere!
Hereâ€™s an International holiday update for allÂ of our Across the Water readers â€¦
From Brazil: New Defense Strategy AnnouncedÂ : On 23 December 2008 Brazil and France signed a $12 billion arms deal that includedÂ Brazil’s purchase of fifty EC-725 transport helicopters, four Franco-Spanish designed ScorpĂ¨ne-class submarines and additional French assistance with the non-nuclear portions of a long planned Brazilian nuclear attack submarine. Just a few days before the deal with France was announced, Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva unveiled the requirement for a new National Defense Strategy.Â
From Russia: Warships Conclude Cuba VisitÂ : The Russian Udaloy-II-class destroyer Admiral Chabanenko, along with the Boris Chilikin-class replenishment oiler Ivan Bubnov and Silva-class tug SB-406 departed Cuban waters on 23 December following the first such Russian visit there since the collapse of the Soviet Union. The three shipsÂ formed part of a larger Russian naval tour in the Caribbean that also included warship visits to Venezuela, Panama and Nicaragua.Â
And this edition’s international navies photos is â€¦
An Iraqi coastal patrol boatÂ patroling Persian Gulf waters as the Republic of Singapore Tank Landing Ship RSS Resolution (LST 208)Â can be seenÂ underway in the background. Photo credit: U.S. Navy.
Till next time and Happy New Year!
- On Midrats 11 October 15 -Episode 301: “Confessions of a Major Program Manager, w/ CAPT Mark Vandroff, USN”
- Rebuttal To â€śAdvocating Naval Heresyâ€ť by Captain R. B. Watts, USCG (Retired) USNI PROCEEDINGS, June 2015
- The Perilous Price of Peace
- On Midrats 4 Oct 2015 – Episode 300: USS Neosho (AO-23),USS Sims (DD-409) and the Battle of the Coral Sea
- Should innovative organizations have an expiration date?