Tags: Add new tag
Happy New Year to the USNI Blogosphere!
Hereâ€™s an International holiday update for allÂ of our Across the Water readers â€¦
From Brazil: New Defense Strategy AnnouncedÂ : On 23 December 2008 Brazil and France signed a $12 billion arms deal that includedÂ Brazil’s purchase of fifty EC-725 transport helicopters, four Franco-Spanish designed ScorpÃ¨ne-class submarines and additional French assistance with the non-nuclear portions of a long planned Brazilian nuclear attack submarine. Just a few days before the deal with France was announced, Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva unveiled the requirement for a new National Defense Strategy.Â
From Russia: Warships Conclude Cuba VisitÂ : The Russian Udaloy-II-class destroyer Admiral Chabanenko, along with the Boris Chilikin-class replenishment oiler Ivan Bubnov and Silva-class tug SB-406 departed Cuban waters on 23 December following the first such Russian visit there since the collapse of the Soviet Union. The three shipsÂ formed part of a larger Russian naval tour in the Caribbean that also included warship visits to Venezuela, Panama and Nicaragua.Â
And this edition’s international navies photos is â€¦
An Iraqi coastal patrol boatÂ patroling Persian Gulf waters as the Republic of Singapore Tank Landing Ship RSS Resolution (LST 208)Â can be seenÂ underway in the background. Photo credit: U.S. Navy.
Till next time and Happy New Year!
- The Virtue of Being a Generalist, Part 3: Viper and the Pitfalls of â€˜Good Enoughâ€™
- Midrats 21 Sept 14 – Episode 246: “When the short snappy war goes long, with Chris Dougherty”
- The Virtue of Being a Generalist, Part 2: Are All Nuggets Created Equal?
- Back to Basics: Restoring the United States Merchant Marine
- On Midrats 14 Sep 14: Episode 245: “The Carrier as Capital Ship” with RADM Thomas Moore, USN, PEO CVN