Tags: Soft Power
By Jim Dolbow
Great news for Soft Power advocates according to a press release from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services:
Admiral Joxel Garcia, Assistant Secretary for Health at the Department of Health & Human Services, recently announced a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Public Health Service and the U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM) of the Department of Defense. The MOU allows Commissioned Corps officers of the U.S. Public Health Service (USPHS) to participate in more health missions serving underprivileged areas throughout Central, South America and the Caribbean.
The MOU sets in place a framework for USPHS officers to participate in DoD Medical Readiness and Training Exercises (MEDRETEs) in Central America, South America and the Caribbean. The MEDRETEs are professional health care training for military medical teams that visit rural, underprivileged areas in the hemisphere. The program is one of the premier U.S. health diplomacy efforts in the region, giving American military health care personnel the opportunity to have a positive impact on thousands of people while providing invaluable real-world training for US troops.
More here including a quote from fellow USNI Blogger, Adm. Jim Stavridis.
- Special Time for Midrats Episode 238: “The Horn of Africa – still the front lines, with RDML Krongard, USN” – 27 July at 2pm (EDT)
- Taking the Long View on Hispanic Immigration
- Invite: CIMSEC’s July DC Meet-Up
- Sea Control 43: RADM Rowden – Sea Control, LCS, and DDG 1000
- On Midrats 20 July 14 – Episode 237: Military Sealift Command – Past, Present and Future