Regarding priorities and scarce resources, I thought the following email i just received from someone I met in Antigua who also happens to be quite knowledgeable about world politics and military history might be of interest:
Here’s why our tax dollars have been well spent. Most Americans are unaware of the growing influence in the region of Cuba (provides hundreds of doctors and civil engineers in the Caribbean and Latin America), Venezuela (subsidizes oil pricesÂ to regional governments and underwrites Cuba’s initiatives), and China (hasÂ important relationships with many Western Hemisphere governments – who happenÂ to vote in theÂ UN).Â Maybe you drove past the Viv Richards Cricket Stadium in Antigua? Built by the Chinese. If (perhaps when?) the Chinese navyÂ were able to project a global presence, their ships wouldÂ be welcomed in St. John’sÂ HarborÂ today.
The visit of the USNSÂ Comfort has given a tremendous boost to US relations and furthers US interests, not to mention the intrinsic benefit to the recipients of the medical care. Of course,Â you experienced thisÂ first hand.
Well said my new friend! Multiply this by six other nations in CP 09 and we will start to see some big dividends in the region.
- Midrats this Sunday, May 17 2013 – Episode 167: Intellectual Integrity, PME, and NWC
- Remembering our Fallen Coast Guard Shipmates and their Families
- On Midrats 10 Mar 13, Episode 166: “Expeditionary Fleet Balance”
- Guest Post by LTJG Matthew Hipple: From Epipolae to Cyber War
- For Strength and Courage: Neptunus Lex