“The true character of liberty,”
wrote the French philosopher Voltaire, “is independence, maintained by force.” Since 1776, the U.S. military has provided the force to defend America’s liberty.And since 1873, the U.S. Naval Institute has advocated independent thought as essential to creating a smart, effective national defense.
It’s not always been easy, given, as independent thinker Mark Twain noted, that such “loyalty to one’s best self and principles…is often disloyalty to the general idols and fetishes.”
On this Independence Day – our Nation’s 233rd birthday – the Naval Institute celebrates with a special collection of articles and essays that exemplify America’s, and the Institute’s, spirit of independence.
Major General, USMC (Ret.)
U. S. Naval Institute CEO
Comment and Tell Us about Those Who Dare…to Read, Think, Speak, Write – and Blog
- On Midrats 14 Dec 14 – Episode 258: COIN, Cyber, and Lawfare: the continuity of war in to 2015
- On Midrats 7 Dec 14, Episode 257: “Clausewitz – now more than ever, with Donald Stoker”
- And so, our Navy finds its Memory Hole
- To Defeat ISIS, Hawkeyes Required
- The Independent Review of the Nuclear Enterprise