Recently, the US Navy hospital ship USNS Comfort returned from a four month humanitarian deployment to Central and South America. The mission was the idea of Admiral James Stavridis, considered by some to be “the next Petreus”. While we will know more after the release of the Quadrennial Defense Review (QDR), it is a good bet that health diplomacy missions like the Comfort’s are going to play a more central role in Navy operations in the future.
War reporter (full disclosure: and friend) David Axe recently completed a ten part interview series on the USNS Comfort’s deployment. In each part, Axe interviews a member of the ship’s crew (and riders). Be sure to check it out:
- Part One: The Commodore
- Part Two: The Commodore
- Part Three: The Commodore
- Part Four: The Doctor
- Part Five: The Doctor
- Part Six: The Nurse
- Part Seven: The Coastie
- Part Eight: The Master
- Part Nine: The Master
- Part Ten: The Aviator
- Sorry, no Program Sponsor for that …
- The Cyber Day After: Will the Advent of Cyber Warfare Destroy the Global Internet?
- On Midrats 3 May 2015 – Episode 278: Betrayal, leadership, loyalty, and redemption: Task Force VIOLENT
- A â€śHollow Forceâ€ť or a â€śHollow Strategyâ€ť?
- On Midrats 26 April 15 – Episode 277: Manpower, Modernization, and Motivation – an Hour with VADM Moran