Very good words to give to the future leaders in the Navy of a Representative Republic. Via Earl Kelly at The Capital,
Speaking at the Naval Academy last night, Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates told the midshipmen there would come a time in their careers when bucking authority will be necessary.
“Mark my words, the time will come for each of you when you must stand alone and make an unpopular decision,” said Gates, who as secretary of defense and a career Central Intelligence Agency employee and director has served under eight presidents.
He told the 4,400-member Brigade of Midshipmen that good leaders “create a climate that encourages candor among subordinates.”
In the tradition of Sims, Connolly and others, follow the SECDEF’s advice, and ignore the poor example others may show you.
Nicely put for the folks at USNA – right place at the right time. Very good.
- On Midrats 29 March 15 – Episode 273: Partnership, Influence, Presence and the role of the MSC
- The Pen and the Sword: An Interview with Professor Timothy Demy on Reading Fiction and Studying War
- On Midrats 22 March 2015 – Episode 272: Naval Professionalism; up, down, and back again – with Will Beasley
- Missile Defense and Budget Issues
- On Midrats 3/15/15 – Episode 271: “Red Flag and the Development USAF Fighter “