Very good words to give to the future leaders in the Navy of a Representative Republic. Via Earl Kelly at The Capital,
Speaking at the Naval Academy last night, Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates told the midshipmen there would come a time in their careers when bucking authority will be necessary.
“Mark my words, the time will come for each of you when you must stand alone and make an unpopular decision,” said Gates, who as secretary of defense and a career Central Intelligence Agency employee and director has served under eight presidents.
He told the 4,400-member Brigade of Midshipmen that good leaders “create a climate that encourages candor among subordinates.”
In the tradition of Sims, Connolly and others, follow the SECDEF’s advice, and ignore the poor example others may show you.
Nicely put for the folks at USNA – right place at the right time. Very good.
- Special Time for Midrats Episode 238: “The Horn of Africa – still the front lines, with RDML Krongard, USN” – 27 July at 2pm (EDT)
- Taking the Long View on Hispanic Immigration
- Invite: CIMSEC’s July DC Meet-Up
- Sea Control 43: RADM Rowden – Sea Control, LCS, and DDG 1000
- On Midrats 20 July 14 – Episode 237: Military Sealift Command – Past, Present and Future