As you read this, I am attempting to summit Everest.

Via the North Face.

Without. Oxygen.

This is the third in a series posts dispatched from the slopes of Mt. Everest, leading to his planned ascent on or about May 19th.

April 30, 2010

Teammates,
We have been in Base Camp (BC) for 3 days now and although living at 15,500′ is relatively pleasant (highlight “relatively”), I (we) did not come to Mt. Everest to look at it from 12 miles away. After looking at the weather reports for the next 5- 7 days, we have decided to leave tomorrow for the North Col/ Camp 1 where we will spend 2 nights (my plan last week before the avalanche made movement up to the North Col impossible).

We (Barry, Fernando, Jamie and I) will depart BC early Saturday morning and spend one night at Interim camp (18,000′), before moving to Advanced Base Camp (ABC- 21,000′) for two nights. We will depart ABC on Tuesday morning and move as a team up to the North Col/Camp 1 (23,000′) for two nights.

My teammates and I will then return to BC on Thursday morning. If the weather cooperates however and I continue to feel strong at the higher altitudes, I may begin my ascent to the summit alone with Kaji on Thursday morning. Kaji and I will spend one night at Camp 2 (25,000′), one short night at Camp 3 (27,000′) and then depart early Saturday morning (05/08/2010) for the summit (29,028′).

This would be an aggressive plan so early in the climbing season and weather (snow, high winds and extreme cold) may preclude us from doing so. If poor weather occurs, I will return to BC with the rest of our team on Thursday morning. We will then rest and recover for 2 or 3 days and then (weather dependent) make our summit attempt (with a tentative summit on May 18th or 19th).

Although it will be nice to summit next Saturday (and return home shortly thereafter), we will review all available weather reports/ information before making a decision that would allow me to do so. I would certainly like the opportunity, but not at the expense of frostbitten toes, fingers, nose (or worst). We shall see…

Regards,
Eric

“Nec Aspera Terrent (Difficulties Be Damned)”

Second Dispatach – The Avalanche

First Dispatch – “One More!”




Posted by Eric Kapitulik in Marine Corps, Travel
Tags:

You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

  • http://xbradtc.wordpress.com XBradTC

    Good luck, and Godspeed, but as a former member of the 27th Infantry, I gotta tell you, I’ve always heard the translation of “Nec Aspera Terrent” as “Fearing nothing on Earth.”

    WOLFHOUNDS!

  • Todd

    XBradTC: I was stationed in Hawaii with the 25th Inf. Div. 1st Batt. 27th Inf. Wolfhounds (90-93). I was also told it meant “No Fear on Earth”

2014 Information Domination Essay Contest