Of ¬†course I knew of GEN Cartwright before I heard his keynote yesterday. ¬†However, what I knew of him was news stories, blog posts, and a few videos of his previous speeches. ¬†However when the General spoke yesterday, I was surprised by the candor and subtle bluntness of his words.
In listening to the General speak, I was made to wonder why we cannot get such sentiments from active duty flags. ¬†Surely I appreciate the sensitive positions such men hold, and the fact that they occupy positions where their words reflect on those personnel and programs in their charge. ¬†But, there must be something we communication professionals are not doing for them that prevents remarks like this being often more regularly, or at all while in uniform.
It is not about ‘tough talk’ as much as it is the presence GEN Cartwright had on stage. ¬†It borders on being zen-like how he effortlessly moved from topic-to-topic with out the use of ¬†a prompter, notes or PowerPoint. ¬†Seeing such mastery of diverse and indepth is in every respect refreshing. ¬†It reassures me that those who make the decision to send me into harms way are that good.
GEN Cartwright’s full speech
- Midrats this Sunday, May 17 2013 – Episode 167: Intellectual Integrity, PME, and NWC
- Remembering our Fallen Coast Guard Shipmates and their Families
- On Midrats 10 Mar 13, Episode 166: “Expeditionary Fleet Balance”
- Guest Post by LTJG Matthew Hipple: From Epipolae to Cyber War
- For Strength and Courage: Neptunus Lex