Tags: A History of the Navy in 100 Objects, DGUTS
Today’s object is the original flag bearing this famous navy saying which has inspired generations of sailors.There is no error in the title – the original flag does not include an apostrophe. The actual flag is on display in the Academy’s museum, but it looks different from the pristine blue representations of it elsewhere. This is because it in fact was not blue originally, but was covered in blue material in later years in an effort to preserve it. This knowledge was uncovered during recent conservation efforts to preserve the flag for future generations, along with many other interesting discoveries. Dr. Scott Harmon takes us through the story of heroism that inspired the flag and also helps us understand the extensive conservation effort to help preserve the flag for future generations.
- Sea Control 25 – Crimean Crisis
- A History of the Navy in 100 Objects #49: Japanese Bomb Arming Vane
- March 9 Midrats Episode 218: Abolishing of the USAF, with Robert M. Farley
- DEF[x] Annapolis: Encourage the Innovators
- A History of the Navy in 100 Objects #48: Models of HMS St. George (1701) and USS Missouri (1944)