Archive for the 'Books' Tag
Jimbo … Shipmate … you’re coming late to the game unless people run out to the local Books-by-the-ton … but you are exactly right on the best present you can give – books!
Over at the home blog, earlier this month we did a series of book recommendations – some overlap with yours, but some other goodies as well.
We started out with long time commenter Sid’s Top-5:
- Eight Bells (Original title: Eight Bells and All’s Well), by RADM Daniel V. Gallery.
- South From Corregidor, by then LCDR John Morrill.
- The Spirit of the Sammy B, a short oral history chronicling the not quite six month life of the Samuel B. Roberts by her skipper, RADM Robert Copeland.
- One Hundred Days: The Memoirs of the Falklands Battle Group Commander, by Admiral Sandy Woodward.
- The Heroes’ Wife, by Dora Griffin Bell.
At the link, Sid provides some good background and prose to go with it.
We then followed up with another half dozen from other readers and fellow bloggers Eagle1, and Galrahn.
- Six Frigates, by Ian W. Toll.
- The Line Upon a Wind: The Great War at Sea, 1793-1815, by Noel Mostert.
- Sheriff of Ramadi, by Dick Couch.
- Two-Ocean War: A Short History of the United States Navy in the Second World War, by Samuel Eliot Morison.
- The Strongest Tribe: War, Politics, and the Endgame in Iraq, by Bing West.
More recommendations are in the comments.
Books …. of course one should scan the USNI library first …. books … if ignorance is bliss; I don’t want to be happy.