From CNN yesterday:
MOSCOW, Russia (CNN) — Russia will build at least six nuclear-powered submarines with long-range cruise missiles for its navy, a source in the Russian Defense Ministry told the Itar-Tass news agency.
The missiles can potentially carry low-capacity tactical warheads, the news agency reported Friday.
“These supersonic, highly maneuvering missiles are designed for strikes on aircraft carriers of the enemy if the latter poses a direct threat to Russia’s security,” the unnamed source told Itar-Tass. “The missiles can be launched at the most important coastal facilities.”
The source added, “Despite the construction of a new nuclear submarine with new missiles, Russia intends to observe firmly international arms control agreements on equal terms with other countries.”
The Severodvinsk-class submarines are being built at the Sevmash shipyard, the center of Russian nuclear submarine production, according to Global Security’s Web site.
The new subs will be put into service for the Russian navy in 2011, the source told Itar-Tass.
Russia will finance the construction of the new submarine with long-range cruise missiles, First Deputy Chief of the Navy’s General Staff, Vice-Admiral Oleg Burtsev told Itar-Tass.
(My italics added)
- On Midrats 19 Feb 2017 -Episode 372: Andrew Jackson’s Navy; Now More Than Ever?
- SECDEF Mattis to NATO: Sober Up
- On Midrats 12 Feb 2017 – Episode 371: Rice Bowls, Silos, & Firewalls – the National Security Bureaucracy
- China Sees Our 350, and Throws Another 150 on Top
- On Midrats 5 Feb 2017 – Episode 370: The SECNAV’s In Basket With James Holmes