Very good words to give to the future leaders in the Navy of a Representative Republic. Via Earl Kelly at The Capital,
Speaking at the Naval Academy last night, Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates told the midshipmen there would come a time in their careers when bucking authority will be necessary.
“Mark my words, the time will come for each of you when you must stand alone and make an unpopular decision,” said Gates, who as secretary of defense and a career Central Intelligence Agency employee and director has served under eight presidents.
He told the 4,400-member Brigade of Midshipmen that good leaders “create a climate that encourages candor among subordinates.”
In the tradition of Sims, Connolly and others, follow the SECDEF’s advice, and ignore the poor example others may show you.
Nicely put for the folks at USNA – right place at the right time. Very good.
- Moving the Influence Squadrons from Sea to Air
- A Polite Rozhestvenski Whisper to the Trump Transition Team
- On Midrats 8 Jan 2017 – Episode 366: Is it Time for a General Staff?
- “Ameri-Straya”: The Story of the People Behind the U.S.-Australian Partnership In Electronic Warfare
- There Are Bad Ideas and Then There is This Bad Idea