Very good words to give to the future leaders in the Navy of a Representative Republic. Via Earl Kelly at The Capital,
Speaking at the Naval Academy last night, Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates told the midshipmen there would come a time in their careers when bucking authority will be necessary.
“Mark my words, the time will come for each of you when you must stand alone and make an unpopular decision,” said Gates, who as secretary of defense and a career Central Intelligence Agency employee and director has served under eight presidents.
He told the 4,400-member Brigade of Midshipmen that good leaders “create a climate that encourages candor among subordinates.”
In the tradition of Sims, Connolly and others, follow the SECDEF’s advice, and ignore the poor example others may show you.
Nicely put for the folks at USNA – right place at the right time. Very good.
- On Midrats 28 August 2016 – Epsiode 347: Baltic Security with Bruce Acker and Dan Lynch
- The Next Card From the Migration Deck?
- On Midrats 21 August Episode 346: “The Farsi Island Incident – Is the Navy a Learning Institution?”
- Red Pill or Blue Pill in Syria & Iraq?
- American Billy Fiske — One of the Few