Archive for the 'History & heritage' Tag
What’s the most endangered floating naval monument? Is it the soon-to-be abandoned ex-USS Olympia (C 6)? The “get-it-out-of-water-or-it’ll-sink” ex-USS Texas (BB 35)? The “dry-dock or dispose” ex-USS Yorktown (CV-10)?
If the Navy had a hefty (yet limited) amount of funds earmarked to bolster floating Naval memorials/floating landmarks, which monuments would you like to see the fund save?
Or…would you prefer funds went towards the best-preserved vessels? Or just save the ones in trouble? Do let me know!
The following list of commemoration events is provided via the Battle of Midway Roundtable:
The organizers for the BOM commemorations at Pearl Harbor, Washington, Houston, and Chino are seeking BOM veterans, historians, authors, etc. who might be willing to serve as panelists or otherwise as participants. Additionally, BOM vets are especially welcome as honored guests at any of the commemoration events. Contact the editor for info on any event listed below.
- 26 May, Phoenix, AZ, BOM commemoration by NRA & NOUS
- 31 May-5 June, Pearl Harbor, BOM symposium plus Midway tour
- 3 June, Arlington, VA: formal banquet, Army-Navy Country Club
- 4 June, Washington D.C.: USN commemoration at the Navy Memorial
- 4 June, Washington DC, BOM symposium (IMMF)
- 4 June, Houston, TX: BOM commemoration by NOUS
- 4-7 June, New Orleans, LA: USS Yorktown (CV-5) reunion
- 6 June, Chino, CA: Coral Sea & BOM symposium and air show
- 6 June, San Diego, CA: BOM commemoration aboard USS MIdway.
- 6 June, San Francisco, CA: formal banquet, Marines Memorial Club
- 6 June, Jacksonville, FL: BOM commemoration & banquet hosted by Navy League
- 10-12 September, Branson, MO: VF-42 reunion
- A Polite Rozhestvenski Whisper to the Trump Transition Team
- On Midrats 8 Jan 2017 – Episode 366: Is it Time for a General Staff?
- “Ameri-Straya”: The Story of the People Behind the U.S.-Australian Partnership In Electronic Warfare
- There Are Bad Ideas and Then There is This Bad Idea
- Missile Gap? Warhead Gap? No. Try Strategic Spending Gap