Archive for the 'HMS Confiance' Tag
This cannon was taken from HMS Confiance after the Battle of Plattsburg in 1814. Clearly visible on the muzzle is the indentation from when the gun was struck by an American cannonball, sending the cannon crashing into George Downie, the commander of the British naval forces, killing him instantly. The Americans went on to defeat the British forces, bolstering American morale and helping to bring about the final end of the War of 1812.
- On Midrats 19 Feb 2017 -Episode 372: Andrew Jackson’s Navy; Now More Than Ever?
- SECDEF Mattis to NATO: Sober Up
- On Midrats 12 Feb 2017 – Episode 371: Rice Bowls, Silos, & Firewalls – the National Security Bureaucracy
- China Sees Our 350, and Throws Another 150 on Top
- On Midrats 5 Feb 2017 – Episode 370: The SECNAV’s In Basket With James Holmes