David Wood over at Politics Daily writes from Fort Benning,
….For years – decades – basic training has had an unthinking, mechanical logic to it.
“We were dumb, marching privates,” says Sgt. Jermaine Trevillion, who went through basic training here in 1997. Now, after two combat tours in Iraq with the 1st Armored Division, he’s a drill sergeant.
“The training was mindless – here’s the material, memorize it,” says John Calpena, who fought with the 1st Infantry Division in Iraq in 2004-2005. “Today the enemy is always changing his tactics, his operations. We can’t give soldiers mindless solutions. They have to think.”
Full article here.
- On Midrats 19 Feb 2017 -Episode 372: Andrew Jackson’s Navy; Now More Than Ever?
- SECDEF Mattis to NATO: Sober Up
- On Midrats 12 Feb 2017 – Episode 371: Rice Bowls, Silos, & Firewalls – the National Security Bureaucracy
- China Sees Our 350, and Throws Another 150 on Top
- On Midrats 5 Feb 2017 – Episode 370: The SECNAV’s In Basket With James Holmes